The Data Science Nigeria 2019 Inter-Campus Machine Learning (ML) Competition is a program designed to raise a generation of data scientists and Artificial Intelligence experts from all Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics. It is aimed at upscaling Nigerian students with requisite industry-relevant and research-readiness skills that support employability and competitive positioning for global academic opportunities.
Why you should be excited to participate
- Top performers will be considered for scholarship support to the Stellenbosch’s Master in Machine Learning in South Africa.
- Opportunity for a rewarding career in the world’s No 1 career – Data Science/Artificial Intelligence.
- Platform to explore emerging research opportunities globally
- Knowledge trigger to fulfil entrepreneurial dream as an AI-first start-up focussed on solving local problems in financial inclusion, health, agriculture etc. by embedding Artificial Intelligence into your core knowledge domain.
- The bootcamp is fully residential, all-expense-paid with travel grant to participants traveling to the venue from outside of Lagos State.
- There is a special recognition award for the top participants and schools with the highest number of participants.
How to participate
- Confirm your interest in participating in this competition by filling in the form via this link
- Kick off your learning online by participating in our 100-day pre-qualification kicking off May 1, 2019. Kindly subscribe to the learning class on YouTube by clicking here. You may join our daily classes or study on your own using the various online course or contents in our AI Knowledge boxes.
- Members of the AI+ will be able to engage a coach every weekend during the learning period (May 1 to Aug 9) via Slack to discuss questions and answers and share their assignments. AI+ membership requirement and full detail is available at ………
- The bootcamp 100 days pre-qualification classes include theoretical courses that will run on YouTube and a special Microsoft Azure course to build industry-ready capacity.
- Details on the Microsoft classes is clarified step by step below:
- A 9-hour course which introduces participants to Microsoft Azure and its basics. This is important as it makes every participant industry- ready. Leading companies all over the world use this tool for Machine Learning and students with this knowledge can easily get good jobs. All participants must submit a proof of course completion. Visit course site here.
- The free Azure Fundamentals course is available on the cloud society.
- Students who can afford to pay for a certification of $80 can attempt the AZ-900 exam, which covers the same skills. However, this is not compulsory.
- You can study the materials in groups and/or attend all the special classes that will be held at the AIHub in person or via online channels.
- After the study, submit your assignments, completion certificates and/or score sheet by clicking here
- After you completion submission, come back and click here to participate in the Kaggle competition.
- The qualification Kaggle will run between 23 September and 23 October 2019 .Please note that you cannot do this as a group. Every submission must be an individual submission. Any act of collusion or group cheating will lead to disqualification of all the parties involved.
- There will a telephone validation quiz between 24 October and 3 November to authenticate the Kaggle submission made by each participant.
- The top 75 participants shall be invited to the bootcamp held from 19 to 23 November 2019 in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Food, accommodation and lectures – FREE. Expert hands-on data scientists are traveling to Nigeria to facilitate the classes.
- Special consideration for female competitors (at least 20% from the current 6.2%).
- The bootcamp will include further activities and a hackathon to determine the overall best machine learning students. The bootcamp organiser’s selection of participants will be final.